Sunday, March 28, 2021

Iron Man: Life Story #1 - Process Post #1

Last week, I mentioned that I was working on something ambitious. Today, I shall explain further! 

At the moment, I'm learning how to plan and write a comic script -- and I'm applying some CLR to my drawing skills. Why? Inspired by Chip Zdarsky's Spider-Man: Life Story and the upcoming Fantastic Four: Life Story, I've decided to create my own fan girl's version of Iron Man: Life Story -- because if Marvel ever gets to my boy, I have doubts they'll actually hire a team (like, say, Michelinie and Layton) who will give me something I'll personally like. 

In case you haven't read Zdarsky's excellent miniseries, the idea is to rewrite a particular character's canon on the assumption that there's no "Marvel time" -- that, in fact, the characters are all aging normally from the 1960's onward. For the purposes of this project, I've decided Tony Stark is twenty-five at his superheroic origin in 1963 -- which means he will be in his thirties during the 1970's, forties during the 1980's, etc. In addition to studying the art of comic book creation, I'm also putting a great deal of thought into how a standard time scale will impact key storylines in Tony's history from "Demon in a Bottle" to "Deliverance" to "Armor Wars" -- and I'm sorting out what I want to say about my favorite character and how I should organize my ideas into distinct issues for the selected years.

Click the snaps below for the first sneak peaks at my initial planning process!

Some notes on characterization.


Planning the very first scene in issue #1.


Planning the second scene in issue #1.


No comments:

Post a Comment